Sunday, March 22, 2009

These are the things we talk about in our home...

So, the other day, I took Josh and Erin to the library to get a couple of books. By the way, the library is awesome. I could spend hours and hours there. Anyhoo- I picked up a book called "The Agony and The Ecstasy" by Irving Stone. I was perusing it when Josh came over and snatched it out of my grasp to look at the front cover. On the cover is a depiction of the painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel showing Adam? (I'm not sure) touching the finger of God. All in all, a wonderful piece of art and probably, one of the most famous works of Michelangelo. So, Josh is looking at it and points to Adam's? "package" and says indignantly "Man, look how small they painted his wiener! They could at least have painted him with some dignity!" Of course, I fell to the ground laughing and Josh just walked away shaking his head. He always manages to say the funniest thing in the most inappropriate place. I believe he does this to test me. If I ever get the privilege of seeing the ceiling up close and personal, I may not be able to contain the giggles. We have since had a couple of discussions about that painting and wondering whether the smallness of the anatomy holds any kind of symbolism? Just something to think about.

Another funny thing with Josh. The other night he was up late trying to complete a bunch of missing assignments-why he can't just do them and turn them in on time is beyond me-and he was trying to think of something to write about in his writing journal. So, we started talking about it when a commercial for the Twilight DVD came on. Naturally, we started discussing Twilight and, mind you, the hour was late. I thought that maybe Josh could write about and discuss what someone would have to smell like in order for him to want to take a bite of him/her. We discussed, and decided that someone would have to smell and taste like a Cinnabon. What on earth is better than a Cinnabon? When ever I walk into that airport, the Cinnabon stand calls to me and I cannot pass. I must have one, come what may. This whole, freesia, lavender, flowery smell thing is just not my bag. As a matter of fact, my Grandma Kimball used to take me to the Lion House for my birthday. She always, always got some lavender flavored candies. She loved them. I choked them down just to be polite. They were yuuuuucky. So, Cinnabon it is. Anyway, these are the kinds of things we talk about in our family. Do you talk about anything weird? I'd love to know if we are the only freaks out there.

10 comments:

Marianne said...

I laughed so hard at the "package" situation! I have to wonder if there is some kind of significance to the size. Or perhaps it says something about the painter! Okay, off that topic. I think cinnabon is the best smell. Or one that gets me (esp on fast sunday) is fresh baked bread with real butter. Mmmmmmm...

Jenni said...

Ya, we talk about interesting things also. For instance, BJ and I were just laughing and talking about your post! (Ha, Ha). He thinks Josh is so funny!
It's always been a joke at my house (when we were dating) to only bring a guy that really liked us and was truly interested to our dinner table. For some odd reason, anything flies at the dinner table. Needless to say, my family is quite "open" with our conversations and we tend to have off the wall discussions over subjects that some may consider inappropriate at times...My poor grandma's new husband. I have seen that mans face turn red more times than not. He's quite used to us crazy's now. Anyway...
I'm on the same page as you. Nice to know there are others out there!!! (We better not hook our families up for dinner!)

Jaz said...

The really funny coincidence is that I spent the weekend helping friends who sell lotions that smell like Twilight characters. They have a new lip balm that people kept asking if they had the smell in lotion...but if they did, I would probably lick my arm (it smells like candy to me)

In our house it's Tyson making the crazy jokes...I swear he times them just to make me choke on my drink. Since it's March Madness, I have to hear a lot of bball games. So we discuss how Freudian the announcers commentary is.

Betty Grace said...

Yay Mel. So glad (and surprised) to find your blog!! Fun to read about you and the fam. I miss you a ton!
xo
Betsy

Shelley said...

Josh is hilarious. At least you have a teenager you can get a good laugh from, even if he causes you grief the rest of the time!

Jennifer Bradford said...

When I read these things about Joshua, it sounds like you are telling a story about Joel. How did they get to be so much alike?

I would hate to tell you what the conversations sound like at my house. They usually involve some bodily function and/or odor. If not that, then we are making brutal fun of some random person.

Jill said...

I admit that after I read this post I googled the Sistine Chapel to see what Josh was talking about..lol. I agree with him!

So if it makes you feel better we have strange conversations over here too. The other day I found myself explaining to Casie what "Prairie Doggin' it" meant. lol Today I described to Ellie what a Brat was. She thought it was a doll and I told her it was what she was being at the moment.

Linda Barton said...

You know what I hate the smell of? Lilacs, yup, lilacs. They stink. You know what made me think of that? Lavender candy. Who the crap thinks it's a good idea to make such nonsense? i'll tell you who...a man.

At my house, we used to talk a lot more, then the kids got old enough to understand our semi-inappropriate innuendos that inevidably slip out. I mean, is it my fault that kids are smarter these days? Any more, if I try to speak in *code* the kids unserstand before the dad, ..seriously. That is why most talking has ceased in our home. ;)

Also, for dinner, I ate 12 zotz candies....who wants to hear about that?...no one. mmmmm...

The Big Kahuna said...

Cinnabons are sticky without pants on

Jon and Emily said...

Sorry, you're the only freaks! :) Well, at least until my kids are old enough to prounounce swimming suit correctly!