Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I am a crazy nut.

Today was one of those teenager moment, mom-you-are-a-nut-job kind of days. I have been warning my Junior High students that they would indeed get theri phones taken away if, by the end of LAST week, all of their grades were better than "C's". Of course, I gave in and gave them until this Friday. Well, today I got the low-down on the grades. Let's just say that one of my teen age types thinks that "F" stands for fantastic. So, needless to say, I held my hand out for the phone. I got the now perfunctory eye-roll and murderous glare after which said teenager stomped down to his/her room to retrieve the phone. Here's where I lost it. The phone loser just could not understand why I was sooo upset about the "F". After all, he/she will certainly bring it up to at least a "C" by the end of the quarter. I have been drilling it into all the concerned children that a "C" isn't the kind of grade that will get you anywhere. From day one, the kids knew how important grades were to us and to their freedom to enjoy the good life (which by the way, we are denying them because they don't have Face Book or My Space accounts, or e-mails or access to illegal stimulants). They (the teens) tell me every day that we are the strictest parents on the planet and that we should just "chillax" on all the rules. Are we wrong to expect our smarter than ordinary kids to strive for something better than average? I don't understand the lack of concern for one's own welfare. I'll tell you this much, I am not supporting them when they can't get a job better than taking tokens at the parking booth at the airport. I will just roll my eyes and say "I told you that you should have gotten good grades!!!" Okay, I am a crazy nut job for wanting my kids to succeed. Weird. Thanks for letting me vent.

11 comments:

Shelley said...

Next time my kids start throwing fits, I am going to tell them to "chillax." Love it.

Marianne said...

Thanks for putting your foot down! I know it may not make you feel better, but they will be grateful 'someday'. And it makes it a lot easier on the rest of us parents to have other moms/dads that 'just say no'. You're a great mom!

Jenni said...

Oh Melissa, the joy of having teenagers! All I can say is that I was a teenager once, and if I think too long and hard about that, it may prevent me from wanting anymore children. ;) Trevan is my challenge right now, but that's okay because I know he'll be a wonderful, spiritual, loving, obedient teenager. (Good luck with that Jenni!)
You know, at some point he/she will thank you for being on their case about this. I am a mom that believes that children love and need (whether they know it or not) discipline in their childhood. I'll shut up now (I'm not being voted "Mother of the Year" this year...that's for sure. Maybe next year...) Good luck with everything, but keep it up! You're doing great! :)

Linda Barton said...

You are nice, my he/she has to get a 3.5 by the end of every friday or he/she loses the phone until Skyward has the appropriate grades posted.

BTW, "chillax" has always reminded me of "ex-lax". Don't know why.

Jill said...

I think we need more parents like you out there! I remember being mortified when my Mom made me bring a note to my teacher every day to sign because I wasn't turning my work in. I thought for sure I had the weirdest mom in the world...now I am the weird Mom and I understand why she did that. :-) Keep it up and just try to find some humor in it...(I know it's hard with those "murderous stares")

Shauna said...

Good job! I always get labled "the meanest mom ever!" Thanks for taking the trophy from me for a day!

Crystal said...

Someone once told me that unless your kids say that you're the meanest mom ever, you're not doing your job as a parent. So it sounds like you are doing a great job being a parent :)
Good job putting your foot down. You're a good mom!

Rekehl Johnson said...

I'm not alone! I feel your pain! Not that I'm rejoicing in your frustration, but just last week I had this very same conversation with my teenagers and their midterms. I turned to my husband and said what is with this generation? Laziness and don't care attitudes are everywhere! I just don't get it and thank heaven for hair dye that can cover all the grey hair my kids are giving me.

- Rekehl

The Big Kahuna said...

If they think you're strict, send then to live with me for a while.

joel baby said...

i was a c student. look at me, i'm kick ass! but seriously folks, kick their butts! i'm sure that mike, who probably never got an a-, is thrilled with this. send them to drive my delivery truck for a week. lumping steel pipe all day is what f students end up doing to feed themselves.

jb

Unknown said...

Oh Melissa, I'm so glad I'm not the only mom going through this right now. I don't think I am going to survive the teenage years! :)