Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thank Heaven for Girl Scouts

I have a good friend who likes to compose "Odes" to sutff on her blog. In tribute to her and to Girl Scouts around the world and in the neighborhood, I shall try my hand at the Ode. My debut in entitled "Ode to a Girl Scout Cookie". Please excuse my lack of form, I am not totally sure of the structure of an Ode, but I my world, it can be anything I want. Here goes:

"Ode to a Girl Scout Cookie"

Oh blessed Girl Scout,
selling your wares.
Cookies to to eat,
to make us look like pears.

"One box?" she asks,
With a shy, impish grin.
"How about mint?"
They're really so thin.

One look at the Scout
with hers eyes full of pleading
I fold with a sigh
"It's a CASE I'll be needing."

Months after the sale,
I've forgotten the treats.
My life is so full,
Yet, not truly complete.

A knock at the door,
A bustle, a holler!
"Mom, a Girls Scout is here!"
She needs 42 dollars!

That much? I wonder,
Then shrug and smile.
Cookies are worth it,
and these will last for awhile.

Three days later
I feel like a heel.
ONE Box is left,
I've had a one for each MEAL.

I hide the last box,
shamefaced and chubby.
I must save a dozen,
or so for my hubby.

I contemplate my days
of GSC bliss,
and wonder if there is
anything funner than this.

To eat Samoa's
all Golden and Crunchy,
to savor a Thin Mint..
there's nothing so munchy!

Today I will limit
the amount I will eat.
Three and that's all,
Then one falls at my feet.

"Crap!" I snort, and think,
"Now it's just two"
"Oh, who cares?" I decide.
What else can I do?

I retrieve the cookie
Off of the floor,
Stuff it into my face,
but now I want more!

Three cookies are not
enough to satisfy me.
Just two more,
I promise, no more than three.

So, now I am sitting
writing my verse,
When a small hand I know
pats my middle, like a nurse.

"Mommy, I really wish
your tummy wasn't so big."
I wish your were small,
Not fat like a pig."

The mouths of babes,
so honest and true.
I laugh and dissemble
No need to feel blue.

It was fun while it lasted.
No sense in regret.
Next time, I'll get TWO cases!
On that you can bet.

So what do you think? Am I a budding Robert Frost or Elizabeth Barret Browning? I think not, but it was fun to have to think for a minute. Thanks to Linda, for the inspiration.

12 comments:

Marianne said...

Love it! It was funny and so true.

Linda Barton said...

Wow! i am impressed...what a poet!

Jaz said...

why stop at 2? They freeze and make really good food storage (I should probably disclose that my childhood nickname was Cookie Monster)

Jennifer Bradford said...

You have a gift my friend...

Shelley said...

I think you and Linda need to get published.

Rekehl Johnson said...

Wow you must have a lot of brain power. Just thinking about writing anything but this comment is just waaaaay to much. (I bought half a case of Thin Mints, but next year thanks to you I'm buying a case!)

- Rekehl

Jenni said...

Holy cow, that was the stinkinest funniest thing I have ever read in my life! I feel bad for the renters as I am in my bedroom on my computer, by myself, laughing hysterically out loud!!!! I've got to copy/paste that into my "Poems" file in Word. Good one Melissa! It was fun to have a good laugh...by myself...with people below me!

Crystal said...

I LOVE it! I laughed so hard that it made my stitches hurt! It's so true, you order what you think will be more than enough cookies and before you know it, they're gone! Stupid addictive cookies.

Jill said...

That was great! I can just say Ditto to the whole thing! Today as I was eating GSC for lunch, I kept telling myself "at least they have peanut butter in them"..that is a lunch item right? I'll make sure and tell Annie that you will buy two cases next year.:-)

Carrie said...

You are hilarious.

Jon and Emily said...

Well since the girl scouts never came to my door, I had to settle for eating the remainder of that Samoa icecream from Cadens birthday! What the suck! Loved the poem...you are a talent, that's for sure!

Mia said...

Send your ode to Girl Scout headquarters and demand a free lifetime supply of cookies. You'll get it. Food storage is DONE!