Wednesday, February 11, 2009

two 1/2 weeks later....

Finally - back into the routine of school. I'm truly sorry if I scared anyone with my last post. But, it was either rant and rave, or end up in maximum security at the point. Thankfully, there are those out there who commiserate. Thanks for all your support. Moving on....Guess what?!?! Mike and I were asked to be Ma and Pa Kettle for trek for our stake. Yikes! I will be suffering along with the Vaders and the Arnells, who are also going. I am already plotting some strategies as far as smuggling contraband and we have scoped out the situation with the children. Admittedly, I did squeeze some bi-ceps this last Sunday and made some mental notes as to who had really strong looking calves. The following is list of items I will be sewing into the lining of my dress - like anyone is going to question if I am following the rules:

1. my ipod
2. unisom tablets
3. toothpaste
4. heart rate monitor (I have to know how many calories I am expending)
5. feather bed (not quite sure how this will look, but am willing to give it a g0)

These are the things I cannot live without. I will even fore go bringing deodorant, if I can have my ipod. I don't think the Pioneers would even think to begrudge me my luxury items. After all, and ipod is so small...it can't weigh more than a few ounces. It's not like one little ipod will deter us from our journey. Mike would also like to smuggle, however his list is quite a lot shorter:

1. Duct tape

Do you know what can be done with duct tape? I believe someone wrote "10,000 uses for Duct Tape." They probably don't even know about the existence of Pioneer Trek! We could probably come up with at least a thousand more uses!! Maybe we will write a book at some point entitled "What You Can Do With a Roll of Duct Tape, One Hundred Feet of Rope, Four Blue Tarps, Ten Kids and the Great Outdoors" I know we would sell at least ten copies. Anyway...

Someone mentioned that we will be able to pick our family name for the trek. The person who said this had some sappy story about walking in the footsteps of this really awesome family/person and that this person was an inspiration, blah, blah, blah...I'm thinking we need to pick a name a bit more relevant to this day, to this generation, to inspire us all to continue on. The following is a list of my top five...I am taking comments and/or votes.

1. the Steelflex Family
2. the Diddy's
3. the Seacrest Family
4. the Jonas Family
5. the Palin Family

Suggestions will be considered.

Hope you are well and happy and that life is treating you well - if not, blog about it and get it off your chest. See ya!

6 comments:

Crystal said...

So you get to be a Trekker too, eh? You will have a great time. I can't wait to see your dress with the feather bed sewn into the lining.... Too bad I can't go since I'll have a 4-month-old baby (even though Bishop tried to convince us that we could still go- No thanks, I don't want to have quite that real of a pioneer experience). You will be a great Ma and Pa.

Carrie said...

I think you can actually make an ipod out of duct tape. If you smuggle your ipod in, can I walk next to you. My vote is for "the Diddy's". I felt guilty checking out the strong youngens too but, its survival of the fittest baby!

Marianne said...

Actually, if I had to go, I would pick someone cool to be like MacGyver. (But that's just me!) I am so jealous! I've always wanted to go, but my hubby can't, so we're stuck here taking care of unruly kids and trying to keep our sanity. (Oh wait, isn't that the same thing that you're doing?) You'll be great, good luck!

Linda Barton said...

If you are the Palins, I know who the perggo teen could be...j/k


The only rule I have for Jared and Trek is (insert sound of me clearing my throat)...."MAKING OUT WITH YOUR SISTER ISN'T COOL!!!!"

Jennifer Bradford said...

How about the Suleman family? That way you could have 14 kids, claim disabilty for some or all of them and live off taxpayer money for the rest of your life? Too political? Sorry...

Love ya sis, I hope you have fun.

Shelley said...

You guys will be awesome mas and pas! If your younger kids need a place to stay, they are welcome here. My boys love having your girls here. :) And I would much rather babysit so someone else can go than have to go myself. Doing Trek as a teenager was enough for me.