Thursday, February 26, 2009

Manners...a thing of the past

Where are people's manners these days? It seems like anything goes. I guess I am not the best one to preach about this particular subject, but a recent experience prompts me to be more aware of my behavior..... So, I am on the phone with this guy at the Select Med Claims Department. I called to ask about a claim that had not been paid and he went into his very complex and somewhat intimidating diatribe about deductibles and codes and stuff that really just goes over my head. Like I care anyway! Just pay the dang claim!!!! Anyway, after about 10 minutes of this one-way conversation, I'm thinking "Wow. Select Med has really got some intelligent and well versed people on staff. This guy really knows what he is doing!" Just then, the guy says "Excuse me, I HAVE GOT TO BURP" and then proceeds to belch, if not directly into the phone, then somewhere in the vicinity. Hey - doesn't this guy realize that THIS CALL IS BEING RECORDED FOR TRAINING PURPOSES!?! Is this what they are training people to do now? This infraction should at least entitle me to having my claim paid post-haste!!! All credibility went out the window. Come on, burping into the phone? Next thing you know, he will be saying something like, "Sorry, I just threw up in my mouth." or maybe "Wow, that was a stinky one." Now, like I said, I am not really one to talk about manners; I know how loud and obnoxious I can be, however, I would never (purposely) belch into someones ear on the phone (unless it was one of my brothers on the receiving end.)! Not to disparage my children at all, but the other thing that bugs me is the public flatulence so often demonstrated in my family. When did it become socially acceptable to fart in front of others? My children are actually quite proud of their accomplishments in the gas-passing arena. My son's favorite saying is "Everyone likes their own brand." Who is his mother? What has society come to? I am seriously disgusted.

7 comments:

Shelley said...

You are so lucky Melissa! Maybe it is your warm personality that makes people so comfortable around you that they just do whatever, whenever!

Shelley said...

BTW...favorite Autumn quote of the minute, (as they are playing with their dollhouses): "Parker, we're going to have to go find you a truck or something because you are a boy."

Jenni said...

I have had similar experiences, but my husband is behind me threatening me that if I let the cat out of the bag, he will let the wolf out of the shed, so I best be keeping my comments to myself. That's funny though!

Marianne said...

I laughed so hard at the "throw up in my mouth" comment. I sure hate insurance companies and their "magic" hoops to jump through!

Jennifer Bradford said...

I am with you on the public farting. I always knew that men don't really care about this issue, but I have really found out just how little concern they have for public-flatulence. I work with 60 guys and only 5 ladies. All of the other ladies sit in nice cozy private offices upstairs, while I reside out in the open around 30 or so technicians, engineers, machinist, etc. The other day, I could smell a stinker in my general vicinity (which was no surprise to me). I innocently walk into my boss's office to file something, and WHAM! He was sitting there happy as a clam, stewing in his own juices. So nasty.

Carrie said...

Mark says that he calls it "Hot Boxing" at work. I've been telling him that is disgusting at work but he doesn't agree. I loved Josh's comment about "liking your own brand" Mark says the same thing all the time. Do men ever get maturer than 14?
( Your friend Jenn who works with engineers, cracked me up since old Marky does the same thing and he is also an engineer)

Rekehl Johnson said...

I hear you! I have to say bad manners is one of my pet peeves maybe because my children seem to break everyone of them. I hate when you're talking to someone and they yawn and don't cover their mouths and they open up so wide you can see down to their tonsils. Poor Ryan is paranoid about passing sacrament because he yawns a lot and he knows I'm watching him and that I'm on yawn patrol. Poor kid is gonna have issues when he grows up. However, I am horrified that I'm secretly impressed, and would NEVER tell him, but Ryan can fart and belch on command. To have such control of ones bodily functions...

- Rekehl