Sunday, January 18, 2009

what dreams may come

I recently read my friends blog recounting a dream she had had . Something about polygamist midgets. Now, I'm not sure if this was a real dream or a reference to some inside joke, but it got me to thinking. I am somewhat renowned (at least in my own mind) for the weirdness factor of my dreams. My dreams are so far out that, about ten years ago, Mike asked me to please stop recounting them to him so that we could go on with life with some semblance of normalcy. It is a touchy subject. However, I have made no such promised to you all...sorry. Maybe this is the perfect outlet. Maybe there is a Joseph out there somewhere that can interpret? So last night's dream...

First of all, Mike has left me (hence the aforementioned moratorium request) all alone with 5 children to raise.

Second; our ward has split, but only a select few homes on Midas Ridge. I am now in a random ward four cities away which also includes my parents and some other weird people.

Third; the first Sunday in the new ward, we walk, through the snow, through a high-rise office building that is being gutted out, with my new male chaperone (not companion, chaperone) & my five kids, three of whom are not wearing coats or shoes and have brought boxed lunches to church (which is actually eerily similar to the Stake Center I attended to in Chicago as a child.)

Fourth; in an attempt to spice up sacrament meeting, the Bishop has turned the chapel into an exact replica of a circus tent, complete with pomp and circumstance, performers, animals and Brother VanNoy as the Ringmaster dressed in a yellow and orange tuxedo singing something about a banana (anyone see Americam Idol this week?)

Fifth; there are chickens and ducks flying about, some sort of feline stalking the pews and Brother VanNoy leaping from pew to pew, announcing "Please prepare for the sacrament, come one, come all ! Please prepare for the sacrament!"

Sixth; my chaperone, five kids, parents, two sisters-in-law and assorted others members are in the cheap seats in back (which are on risers) blissfully eating our PB&J's while watching the excitement.

Seventh; Suddenly we are the beach next to the gutted out high-rise, but the beach is closed to public access because some corporation is having an event. The security for this event are all east Indians. End of dream.

Weird? Psycho? Abnormal? Or did I just swallow to much Nyquil on Saturday night? You be the judge.

10 comments:

CrazyCow said...

I have told her not to share these "dreams" with me and i profusely apologize that request has led to this outlet. her husband

Marianne said...

Woah, that's EXACTLY what my idea of a perfect sac mtg program would be! (ha ha) j/k. I figured your worst nightmare would be that you take 5 kids to church w/o Mike, and find out that you're in the RS presy! (oh, wait, that already happened) Maybe deep inside you're thinking that 1)your kids need new shoes, 2)Sunday is a 'circus', and 3)you've had WAY too much PB&J with the kids off track. :)

Shelley said...

I am actually most impressed that you remember all of those details! I remember having some long, drawn out dream during my nap after church today and I couldn't tell you one thing about it now. I think Brother VanNoy needs to be alerted...

Jennifer Bradford said...

Moses, I think you have been burning some bush.

Jill said...

LOL!! I loved the bit about Brother VaNoy! We should totally have a "Dream OFF" We could both post our dreams and see who has the most twisted mind. :-)

Oh, that midget dream was real all right! I actually almost mentioned your "Human Brownie Dream" in that post. I would have put something like, "well, it's not as weird as dreaming you are a Brownie, but..." Thanks for being so entertaining Melissa!

Carrie said...

I am impressed Mike reads your blog. Anyway, are you sure you are not pregnant, I only get down right crazy dreams like that when I am pregnant.

The Big Kahuna said...

I believe you are processing repressed memories and analyzing your relationship with your mother. Furthermore, you are suffering from Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, Acute Stress Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, PMS, Histrionic Personality Disorder, Adjustment Disorder, and Bush Derangement Syndrome. signed Sigmund Freud.

I stopped trying to analyze my dreams years ago. The last one being the one where I was being chased by a fork and knife. I do however frequently have Deja vu that I can trace to dreams I've had. Keep up the good work. Your dreams are most entertaining. Love ya!

Linda Barton said...

I think you need to embrace your "inner clown". Really, you are WAAAY too serious. Or, secretly Brother VaNoy is the "man of your dreams" (no pun intended). The absence of Mike is obvious...not enough "married time" together.
Last of all, don't discount the possibility that you just ate some bad fish. :) If you need anymore professional dream interpretation...just give me a call, I'm here for ya' sista'.

Jenni said...

Wake up Melissa! lol You are way too cute! I'm sure you don't know this, but I've been reading your blog for awhile. I love your stories and your "craziness!" You're so cute!

pretty silly woman said...

dear Crazy...this is your mother speaking! stop eating those midget brownies and going to sacrament meeting. you'll feel better soon. love MOM or WOW depending on how you look at things!