Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Pros and Cons of 40

I know that most, if not all, of you are tired of me whining about my age. Sorry about it. I can't help it really. I am totally freaking out coconut head! (something my nephew says). So, I decided to compile a list of pros and cons, hoping that maybe some good would come of it and bring me some closure to the subject. Let me share....

Cons

1. - Being forty sucks - DUH!
2. - Can't do a cartwheel.
3. - Don't get ID'd when I buy beer anymore (for the bread!!!)
4. - Still think like a seventeen year old - but really shouldn't act like a seventeen year old.
5. - Inappropriate to think Zac Efron is hot - I am two DECADES older than he is.
6. - Have to start using "AGE DEFYING" beauty products.
7. - Gotta start gettin' mammograms and colonoscopies - YIKES!! (family history you know)
8. - Fifteen more years until I can join AARP. I don't really want a senior discount, thanks.
9. - Too old to wear leggings (you wouldn't want to see that anyway.)
10.-Can no longer tease my brothers about being old. We are now in the same decade.


There are soooooo many more, but these are the things that stuck out to me.

Pros

1. - I Am Wiser (right?)
2. - Getting close to the age when I can say "I'm old and I'm coming back!" (refer to Jerry Seinfeld)
3. - Starting to forget stuff and people just say "Oh, she's gettin' old. That's OK"
4. - Getting closer to the time that I can buy all my clothes straight from the Coldwater Creek catalog and get away with it.
5. - Now have an excuse as to why I get so tired when skiing, surfing, walking up stairs and in general exerting myself.
6. - Don't have to pretend to be able to hear you; can officially get a hearing aid.
7. - This much closer to MUMU's!!!
8. - Can start going to bed at like 6pm!!! Although - this means I will be waking up at like, 4am.


Looks like the CONS have it folks. I guess 40 really is just a number though. It's not like I can stop it. Anyway...

10 comments:

Shelley said...

You're the youngest 40 I ever met. :)

Linda Barton said...

woah...wait! You're 40...I thought we were the same age....
BTW, I hope I'm as hot as you at 40!

Jenni said...

I've been wanting to say the H.B. words to you, but Shelley made it sound like I'd be shot if I did, so I've refrained. I think the biggest pro for you being 40 is that your hot! You still "got it"! That's awesome! You're the coolest 40 year old I know, so just forget that you're gettin' up there (with all do respect:)) and have fun!!!! Love ya! :)

Marianne said...

LOL! I'm sorry but I just can't picture you in a Mumu! You're way too hot for that!

Jill said...

Shoot..I have to wait until I'm over 40 to wear a Mumu? I just ordered like 5 from Sears. I'll bring them over. lol

You are awesome! Age really is only a number. It's what's on the inside that makes you young. :-)

melissa said...

Shelley - Are you saying that I am immature?

Carrie said...

I wonder how Mumu's look with leggins?

Carrie said...

40 is a state of mind, if your mind says it 17 go with it

Rachel said...

Melissa, 40's just a number, although in a few years I will be complaining too! I agree with Jenni, you HOT and your AWESOME, so who cares about the number!!

MarRae said...

girls, girls, girls. 40 was great. I loved being 40. Such freedom. Wish I could go back. Sad. :(